This is one of the questions that I get every single day. But I’m not frustrated by it.
I hope I could educate breastfeeding moms on this topic as much as I could.
Let me introduce to you my sister, Nas.
She is a healthy, beauty-centric and funny mom.
That baby is her second child.
She has a 2-yr Explorer Boy who only stops exploring when he sleeps. 🙂
You may be wondering why I’m posting about her (and her babies) today.
To date, Nas has tried more than 20 beauty products and skincare available in the market.
Yes, she has tried, tested and shared some reviews with me.
Some beauty food she has consumed are Chia Seeds, Spirulina, Hyaluronic Acid, Glutathione, Aura White, Gluta Delima, Babies Blink, Hans Skincare, Goat Milk Stuff soaps and El Marino Blanc.
You see, supplements acts as an additional nutrition to the diet that you’re eating.
Of course, too much of something is always bad. You ought to consume everything in moderate except for fresh air. One can never breathe in too much oxygen!
Coming back to the question: Can breastfeeding moms consume supplements?
My answer is YES and NO.
Let me explain why I said YES:
- source of supplement are made of fruits, veggies, nuts or fish
- no alcohol
- no preservatives
- no GMOs
- no chemical
- probably you also trust the person selling/recommending the supplement to you
- not cancerous
- and MUST NOT affect your baby in any way
Certain supplements do not affect you as a mother. But supplements (and medications) when ingested, they will be present in your milk.
So if you’re not well and have to be diagnosed with antibiotics – Amoxicillin is the safest. Remember to inform your doctor early that you’re breastfeeding!
Supplement Marketing Hype
Most of the time mommies always fall for the marketing hype: The colors, the package, the price, the bundle promotion, The cuteness level is beyond believable and so on.
Some people have not changed brands for many years, not knowing WTH the manufacturer has put inside… all because it works for them!
Manufacturers, Companies, Brands don’t care about you. They only want your money. So choose wisely.
This leads me to the reasons why I said NO to supplements when you’re breastfeeding:
- Check the ingredients. Always check! If you’re a Muslim or a Vegetarian, this step is most important. If you do not know anything there, look it up. Find out what it is!
- Certifications like GMP, Halal, Kosher, Organic, Vegan, Handmade etc. Put it back if it doesn’t suit you.
- If it’s a capsule, what is the capsule made of? Is it from gelatin? Or vegetable cellulose? If you see HPMC, it’s vegan.
- Are there any fillers like magnesium stearate, rice flour? It means you’re not paying for a 100% pure stuff.
- Are there are preservatives like paraben? Yes it’s harmful my dear.
- Look at the price. Is it worth what you’re paying for? 30 capsules for $200. What??!
My advice: Put it back at the shelf if you think it’s not safe.
DON’T RISK IT.
What supplements are you currently consuming? Share in the comments below!