Yes, the day is TODAY.
Today, 2nd January 2015, my first born is officially in Primary 1.
Do you know what that means?
It means I have achieved something BIG. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s every mother’s dream to be able to send her child to school and see her graduate.
This post is dedicated to her and our family.
Last night, I went to bed at midnight. Earlier before dinner, I taught her again on how to count money.
I didn’t know any special techniques so I taught her my way.
2, 4, 6, 8, 10 – Simple math. 20c, 40c, 60c, 80c, 100c always means $1.00
10, 20, 30, 40… 100 – Again, simple math. 10c, 20c, 30c, 40c… 100 always means $1.00
5, 10, 15, 20, 25 – This one just in case she needs to use 5c.
Give her lots of examples. BOOM! She got it! But I was only half relieved.
Why? Why am I so worried about her going into Primary 1???
Ok these are my reasons. Trust me, these are not everything yet. There are other reasons that my fingers couldn’t catch up typing with my thoughts!
- The last time I put her in childcare was in 2011. She has been with me ever since I quit my job in early 2012.
- She has never been anywhere alone.
- She has only bought Prima Deli’s Chocolate/Blueberry Waffle… which I am always there to observe.
- She has never had to keep a purse in her life.
- She only knew 1 or 2 teachers in her previous school. This time, she had more than 3. And her school is BIG.
- She never had to follow a timetable.
- What if she finished her water and needs a refill?
- Does she even know how to queue up for food? What if someone cuts her queue?
- Can she finish her food on time?
- What if she broke her spectacles? She won’t be able to see properly. Her astigmatism is HIGH.
- What if she fell? Will someone help her up? Will my baby cry??
- Will she remember to bring her wallet wherever she goes?
- Will her stationeries get stolen?
- Will she able to cope with the Mother Tongue. I think I only cakap Melayu bila I marah dengan dia.
- My worse nightmare –> Will she get menses in school?! Wait. I haven’t even taught her anything about puberty!
Ok breathe in. Breathe out.
Woke up at 5am. 5 AM!!! Couldnt go back to sleep. Is this what you call stress?
Did my morning prayers. Prayed HARD. I told everything to Him. Felt much better.
7am. Woke everyone up including our VVIP – my daughter.
Left the house at 805 and we were separated by the Prefects wearing blue PE attire.
Ok i kept looking back, she gave a frown. She was holding another cute girl’s hands. She looked anxious too.
Went to the school hall and sat down with my husband and younger daughter. Listened to the briefing and we went to the canteen.
All of us parents, we were like at the transit area at the airport. We weren’t allowed in the canteen but we could see our children from outside.
I saw my precious little girl, talking and giggling away with her new friend.
I HAVE NEVER TEARED FOR SOMEONE WHO IS ONLY 5YRS OLD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.
This girl has made me teared. Tears of joy, sadness, relief and an achievement. I deserve a hug but I was at a public place. I didn’t look away, I just kept looking at her.
She appeared happy. Just happy. I knew she was looking out for me but the other selfish parents hogged the canteen perimeter fence. But baby, I could see you!
When I got a space, I called and waved. She saw me and goodness me! She was overjoyed. She waved HARD at me! She was telling me something I couldnt figure out.
Then I asked her, hoping she could read my lips and read my handsign – Have you eaten? She nodded.
SHE NODDED! Oh my… What did she eat??? I asked again. This time I just shouted! WHAT DID YOU EAT???
She said BREAD. I eat BREAD.
Only God knows how I felt at that moment. You buy? Nodded again.
SHE BOUGHT HER OWN FOOD. WITHOUT ME.
That means she queued up, counted the money, paid the person, took the bread, managed to open and eat the bread.
THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later that day, I fetched her and we talked about what happened in class, canteen and everything about the teachers.
Do you have a child that just got into Primary 1 today?
How did YOU feel? Let me know in the comments below!